Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Driveway


Remember how I said that the excavator was super awesome?



So after excavating out 16" of depth for the future gravel driveway (which is temporary, as gravel is considered "impermeable" and I can't add any more impermeable surface to my property.


But I augured various holes in the driveway to provide good drainage. I eventually covered his layer with geotextile fabric, so really this whole thing should drain well.

Once the excavation was finished, I used cinder blocks to provide a form for the grave. This way in case I need to pull all of the gravel, it'll be WAAAY easier.


And now begins the process of hauling load after load of gravel. Unfortunately I can't accommodate a full size dump truck due to the trees and the overhead lines running in front of the driveway, otherwise this would've been much much easier
First test of the new driveway! It passed, nothing cracked!
Eventually I learned about Handy Andy and his amazingly cheap rental trucks. I was able to rent a full size pickup with a dumping bed and that really sped up the process of filling in the driveway with gravel.


Finally! Now I can walk about 30 fewer feet per round trip! :)

Also, this now gives me a staging area for material, concrete pumps and machinery. So having this is really the first big thing I needed to do before I can continue with the final demolition.

Note that I compacted the layers of gravel, so it is a really sturdy surface. I used 3-4" spalls in a 12" layer, followed by clean 1 1/4" and finally 3/4" for the top inch. Each layer compacted separately.

No comments: