Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Our of desperation, a shed is born!

I had been operating under the idea that the delivery date for our Ikea kitchen could be easily moved.  So you know, if we weren't ready for the delivery, no problem just pay them to store it a few more weeks.

Well... after the base coat of stucco was applied to the stem-wall, I called Ikea and asked if we could push out the delivery two weeks. Their response was "nope, it is being held as long as possible, it has to be shipped on the original date, no choice".
Hmmm...

So now we either store it all in the house while we finish the foundation wall and level the yard. Or build a shed now, before the yard is leveled.  Or rent a storage unit. Or....

Hmmm...
Frankly I didn't want to move it more than necessary. The total weight of all the packages is roughly a ton, separated into 100+ cardboard boxes. So it makes sense to try and limit the times you move it around.  So I dropped by Home Depot on Friday night, picked up the materials for the subfloor of the shed and dropped it off at the house.  Saturday morning, the Future Missus and I clear a section of the backyard and starting digging out where we'll position the blocks that the shed will rest on.

It's a simple 8 x 11 platform framed shed. We used six concrete blocks to support the structure. 2x6 floor joists, OSB subfloor, 8' walls, with a simple corrugated shed style roof.

We dug out holes where the concrete blocks would rest. We then filled in the holes with between 2-4" of gravel and tamped it. We then leveled the gravel filled holes and squared everything up.


Once it was all squared, we laid down mud sills. Now, I'll be honest, this thing is meant to be fast to build and will be torn pretty quickly after we move in. So I didn't even bother to buy pressure treated sill plates.

We built up the subfloor, and decided to call it a day.

The next day we came back and built the walls. Having a square and level subfloor already there made this go really quickly. Measure, measure, measure, cut, nail, nail, nail and done. We built the sides and back on top of each other, then stood them all up and leaned them out against the fences. Then we brought the first wall up, supported it with cross-supports.  Then we lifted the second wall into place, check for level and nail it together. Then the third wall, and then I built the fourth and front wall in place.


I added double top places to lock the corners in.  Finally, I used a 2x8 to form the front of the roof, allowing it to pitch towards the back of the property.


At this point, I realized that the wooden saddles to match up with the corrugated metal roof were incompatible. Sadly the wooden saddles were made for plastic roofing.  Back to home depot to exchange the metal for the plastic.

Then I installed the roofing, drill, screw, drill, screw....





Right after I got the front OSB installed, but before I managed to get a door fabricated and installed, the delivery crew showed up and I had to help unload and organize the packages.






















 Once they left, I organized the packages, made sure they delivered everything we bought.


Once that was done, I could finally build and install the door.


Admittedly after I stepped back, I realised there was a lot of unused space in the shed. So I went back and added an 8ft x 8ft "shelf" which we could fill up with all of the "stuff" we need to store until the house is completed.
















We've since filled that up.  With the storage boxes that were hanging out in the corner of our rental dining room, and the storage boxes that were hanging out in the middle of the house here.  Win, win, win.

2 comments:

Kay Strebe said...

Note to the future Mrs: When I read the post regarding the backhoe and the tools etc., and I mentioned I was a little bit turned on....I didn't realize it was the future Mr. working the machine I thought it was the future Mrs....my bad :)

Eliska said...

hahaha!